As promised, here is part two to share a few of my favorite cards I worked on earlier in my career at Hallmark. (Take a peek at my first post here!) As a designer or artist I always think it is important to look back and be proud of how far you have come, and of older work. Some of these cards were my first projects collaborating with more seasoned designers, and others some of the very first as a designer myself. I hope that many of these cards helped people celebrate those they love!
Happy Monday! Today I'm sharing a few recent social media posts from Hallmark and Think.Make.Share. which have featured my artwork. This quote was created for a larger project which I can't wait to share, and I crafted the dimensional watercolor rose in the top left corner of the lower photo, as well as the tailored numbers on one of Hallmark's 2018 planners. I hope your week is off to a great start, I'm ready to dive right back in to making.
This past weekend I took a quick trip to Dallas to celebrate my friend Ashley's bachelorette party! This was my first time in Dallas and we had the best time. I loved catching up with my college friends who live out of town, and trying so many wonderful new restaurants and bars! Following bloggers is one of my favorite ways to discover the best places to try in a new city, and the atmosphere and coffee at Magnolias Sous Le Pont (recommended by Amy from Fashion Jackson) did not disappoint. Here are all the places we tried:
- We started our trip with pizza at Cane Rosso Friday night. We ordered a few to share, but my favorite was the Prosciutto e Rucola. I also tried a local beer, the Saint Arnold Fancy Lawnmower, which I'm hoping I can find at home, too!
- I have been to Soul Cycle once before (during my work trip to Chicago last year), but this time going with a group of friends made it an even better experience!
- Mercat Bistro was one of my favorite parts of our trip! We sat in their beautiful metal pavilion and loved every second of our meal. I started with the Ricotta & Honeycomb and had the Egg's Benedict for my meal. Both were amazing, this would be on the top of my list of places to go back to!
Magnolias Sous Le Pont
- After brunch we headed to Magnolias to grab coffees and chat. It was a rainy morning so relaxing and drinking our coffee in this beautiful location was the perfect way to pass the time before the KU game!
Katy Trail Ice House
- Most of the girls on the trip were KU fans so finding a fun place to watch the game was a top priority. We ended up at Katy Trail Ice House and found a table right by the TVs inside. If we hadn't been so intent on watching the game it would have been a great place to sit outside, there were so many people who brought their dogs! And in a little better weather I'm sure this place would have been even more crowded.
- After KU's win we spend some time relaxing at our Airbnb before dinner at Mesero, an upscale Mexcian restaurant. Most of us got enchiladas and enjoyed guac and queso to start!
Louie Louie's Dallas
- Finally, our night ended at Louie Louie's Piano Bar! This was the perfect spot for a bachelorette party, I think there were three other groups there as well. The music was great, and the performers were really entertaining.
Hopefully these recommendations will be helpful if you find yourself in Dallas, I love being able to look back at all the places I tried on trips and recommend them to friends. Happy travels!
Spring cleaning is upon us, and while I love getting my living spaces in order this time of year, I'm also updating my portfolio. I did have a section of lettering-focused cards in my Portfolio section of the site but I'm making room for newer projects. So today I'm sharing a few of my favorite cards that I still want documented on the blog. Most of these are cards I worked on in my first few years at Hallmark, some as a lettering artist and some as a designer. I'm really grateful for both roles I have had at my job — there is so much to learn at a company as big as Hallmark. Look out for part two of my favorites soon!
While this month is not quite over yet, it has been full of exciting and nerve-wracking times/decisions, all building up to BIG things happening next month. I can't wait to go into more details, but let's just say I have packed way too many things into the last few weeks. There were also a lot of happy highlights as well like spending time with our friends in STL, celebrating Galentine's Day with my dear work friends, eating at Lidia's in KC with my family for my birthday, recruiting for Hallmark at KU, having a weekend at home over my actual birthday, and finally I will be heading to Dallas this weekend for a bachelorette party! And between Valentine's Day and Spring on its way the finds around the web did not dissapoint this month:
- I loved this quote created by Tessa Forrest. Follow her on Instagram @subliming.jpg and take a peek at her Society6 shop!
- I need to remember these floral cookies for next Valentine's Day
- A few dreamy Paris pictures
- Have you been watching the Olympics?? I think I prefer the Winter Games, and I loved seeing people create some lettering to celebrate.
- While the donut peg boards are always great, this heart shaped one takes the cake!
- Thought-provoking small changes
- Finding an occastion to make this DIY happen... so cute!
- Can't go wrong with paper flower inspiration
- Beautiful outdoor wedding decor.
- And finally two purchased I made this month: I broke my beloved bkr, so I bought a new glass bottle for my insert, and I got the full size of my favorite January Oui Fresh beauty box item!
Ready or not, it's almost March!
Today I'm stopping in to share a "Thank You" card I recently designed for Hallmark, and to say thanks so all my family and friends who made my birthday yesterday so wonderful. I know 26 is going to be an exciting year – I already have so many big things planned. Happy Monday, everyone! (Also this card is even better in person, it has multiple layers of foil and screenprint with some added sparkle, too.)
Happy Heart Day, everyone! While I won't actually get to celebrate until tomorrow, I wanted to pop in and wish you all a day filled with lots of love. AND to share this lovely Hallmark Vida card designed by Brittany Bange. She used Fieldsmith, the font Lila and I collaborated on, which I shared here. It's so exciting to see it used and out in the real world! I can't wait to see which Valentine's Day card Dale has waiting for me...